Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Crockpot Porridge

1/2 cup cracked Wheat
1/2 cup steel cut oats
1/2 cup rye flakes
1/2 cup brown rice
1/4 cup wheat germ
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 dates, chopped
6 cups water, or soy milk, or almond milk, or a combination of those
pinch nutmeg
I also added cinnamon and cloves

Put everything into a crockpot and cook on the lowest setting for the longest time.

I think adding grated apples would be good with this. You can add any sort of nut or dried fruit as well. I put in some chopped almonds and flax seed in mine.

2 comments:

  1. Why not regular milk? Is this cookbook dairy free? Since 4 of these ingredients are gluten I guess I won't be having it here. Would it help to add some salt and maybe some agave nectar while cooking? (I just figured brown sugar or maple syrup are probably out.) Sure sounds good though. Did you do this overnight or just on the weekend?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't see why you couldn't use regular milk. I did notice that the recipe didn't mention regular milk tho. Not sure why. I made it Sunday night, eating it throughout the week. Makes a lot, especially when I am the only one eating it.

    ReplyDelete